It’s summer time in Beijing and we’re all wanting to soak up the sun! There’s no better way to spend a summer than on a rooftop. Luckily for us Beijingers, there’s quite a large selection of Beijing rooftops to choose from, from cozy cafes in the hutongs to the glitzy restaurants in Sanlitun and Guomao.
Whether you’re looking for a boozy brunch in the sunshine or the perfect sundown spot, I’ve got you covered with this mix of popular and lesser-known rooftops in Beijing.
1. Migas Mercado
Of course it’s important to mention one of Beijing’s most Instagrammed rooftops: Migas Mercado in the Guomao district of Beijing. Combines modern art, design with great food and drinks for a special experience with a great view of downtown Beijing. Perfect for a classy dinner with friends or a romantic date!
- Location: China World Mall Guomao (China World Trade Center) 7/F, China World Mall, 1 Jianguomen Waidajie, Chaoyang District, 建国门外大街1号国贸商城7层
- Hours: Daily 10am-late (kitchen 11:30am-midnight except Sundays until 10pm)
- Menu+Price : 300 RMB per person, $$$
2. Yin on 12 Rooftop Bar
Located in the heart of Beijing inside the New World Beijing Hotel, Yin Bar has a unique view of the Forbbiden City and Jingshan Park. While pricier than other rooftops, it’s worth it for the elegant and fun ambience and views. With music by in-house DJs and special salsa and bachata dancing nights, it’s a unique bar for cocktails before or after dinner or late night drinks.
- Location: Tian’anmen / Dongjiaominxiang 天安门东交民巷 33 Qihelou Jie (on the roof of the Emperor Hotel) Dongcheng District 东城区 骑河楼街33号（皇家驿栈顶层）
- Menu: Cocktails, beers, some light bar nibbles
- Hours: 5pm – 1 or 2am
3. The Bell x Terrazza Martini Bar
Located on the 6th floor of Nali Patio in Sanlitun, Martini Bar has both indoor and outdoor bars perfect for nighttime vibes and a 360 view around Beijing. It’s one of the best rooftop bars in Beijing and is a great place for after dinner drinks or a lively party scene with live music.
- Location: Sanlitun 7/F, Nali Patio, 81 Sanlitun Lu Chaoyang District Chaoyang District
- Menu: Delicious cocktails and hookah, as well as food options like pizza, charcuterie plates, and oysters.
4. Toast by Orchid
Toast is a restaurant inside the Orchid hotel in the Guluo hutongs close to Houhai lake. There is indoor seating, but the best place to sit is the rooftop with a view of the drum tower and surrounding hutongs. It offers a great brunch menu and mezze cuisine as well as other food and drinks like coffee and cocktails,
- Location: Baochao Hutong Guloudong road Dongcheng District Beijing 北京市东城区鼓楼东大街宝钞胡同65号
- Menu: 200 RMB per person
- Recommended Time: Morning-lunch
Hulu brings the warmth and comfort of home-cooked food to casual fine dining. There are three locations in Beijing, but the one in Sanlitun offers a classy outdoor lounge feel on a fantastic rooftop. Grab a date or a few friends and come chill in style with some drinks and delicious food!
- Location: Sanlitun 三里屯 3/F, Taikoo Li South, Sanlitun Chaoyang District 朝阳区 三里屯太古里南区三楼
- Menu/Price: 120 RMB per person on average
- Features: Salads, pasta, burgers, beef tartare, soufflés and more
6. Blue Frog
There are many Blue Frog locations in Beijing, but the one in Guomao has the best rooftop with a view of the CCTV building! It’s perfect for a work lunch or dinner out with friends in Beijing’s uban downtown area.
- Location: Guomao (China World Trade Center) 国贸 15-16, 1/F, Bldg AB, Ocean International Center, 10 Jingtong Xilu Chaoyang District 朝阳区金桐西路10号远洋光华国际中心AB座1层15-16单元
- Menu/Price: 150 RMB per person on average
- Features: Classic western food menu with burgers, pasta, beer and cocktails, and a great happy hour 4-8 everyday.
7. Cafe Alba
A sunny café in the Gulou hutongs, Alba is perfect for a low-key weekend brunch and is a popular place to grab your laptop and work remotely from. After you finish working you can head up to the rooftop for a chill sunset vibe.
- Location: Nanluoguxiang / Gulou Dongdajie 南锣鼓巷鼓楼东大街 70 Gulou Dongdajie (east of Nanluogu Xiang) Dongcheng District 东城区 鼓楼东大街70号
- Menu/Price: 70 RMB/person. Nice selection of homemade breads, pizza, and brunch food. Also coffee and other alcoholic drinks. 35 RMB for coffee
8. Regain Element
Regain Element is two story brew pub located in Wudaoying hutong. It has a great selection of IPAs, stouts, and other beers, and a surprisingly expansive menu of Western food. Head up to the rooftop for a view of the Lama Temple and surrounding hutong area. It’s a great place to start the night or stop through on a pub crawl. Open 2pm – late.
- Location: Gulou / Beiluoguxiang / Jiugulou Dajie 鼓楼北锣鼓巷旧鼓楼大街 East Gate of 10 Wudaoying Hutong Dongcheng District 东城区 五道营胡同10号院东侧口内(菀-越南粉)
- Menu: Pints between 35-60 RMB
9. Mai Fresh
A lovely courtyard in the Andingmen Hutongs, Mai Fresh is affiliated with the beloved Mai Bar and Mai Steak.
- Location: Andingmen Beiluogu Xiang Dongcheng District 北锣鼓巷44号
- Menu: Mai fresh offers a delicious brunch menu featuring avocado steak wraps, bagel brunches, French oysters, and more.
10. El Barrio
A Mexican establishment serving up Mexican classics like tacos, fajitas, and nachos and tasty cocktails and beers. There are two outdoor terraces, both perfect for outdoor dinner and drinks that can quickly turn into a night out.
- Location: Sanlitun 三里屯 2/F, Nali Patio, 81 Sanlitun Bei Lu Chaoyang District 朝阳区三里屯北路81号那里花园2楼
- Menu: 150/per person
- 10:30am – 11pm
Other Best Rooftops in Beijing To Visit:
There are so many great rooftops in Beijing besides these! It all depends on the vibe you are looking for. I chose this selection based on personal experience and preference when considering sunshine, views, and best experience. If you wander around Beijing you’ll find plenty of other places to soak up the sun, like these as well:
- Pebbles Mexican Restaurant in Wudaoying Hutongs
- NUO Hotel Rooftop Terrace
- Forno by Bottega in Sanlitun
- Cafe Zarah in Gulou
- Aotu Space in Beixinqiao
- Camera Stylo
- Mosto in Nali Patio